Monday, February 11, 2008

Deja Vu



Saturday was a pretty good training ride. Started with Jake, Jason, Matt, Doug and Armondo and had to part ways with Doug and Armondo towards the end because they had to get back home before a certain time.

The ride was: Up Holy Jim, up to Upper Holy Jim, down UHJ, take Main Divide to Blue Jay, down San Juan (using New San Juan), take San Juan Creek to Caspers and then West Ridge back to the cars.

We had planned to do a longer ride but decided to cut it short because a) some of us were feeling tired and b) my bike broke.

The ride as a whole was much better than the week prior. I didn't bonk and I felt pretty good when we finally finished. I ended up eating three Clif bars, four bags of sports beans and went through three bottles of Cytomax and two full camelbacks before the ride was over. It paid off.

There were a ton of people out as well. We saw quite a few riders on Main Divide and then probably 40-50 people on San Juan. I guess there was some running race up San Juan because we saw trail markers and a ton of people with number plates on.

I had an "OH CRAP THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD" moment on Main Divide which really scared me. I was maybe 100 yards from the top of Horsetheif when I looked down and noticed my GPS was gone. It had fallen off.

I realized it most likely fell off on the fire road right before that point. The road is steep and rocky and I figured it had just bounced off. Two guys had passed me a few minutes prior going the opposite way and I thought they might find it. I ended up turning around and riding back to look for it. I actually cramped when I started going back so I started to walk.

Thank God for two things. First that the two guys ahead of me stopped and didn't keep riding. Second that they found my GPS. I caught up with them and they gave it back to me and I was _really_ happy.

The last crazy thing to happen was that my bike broke. The suspension link in the back cracked in half and even though the bike was still rideable, it wasn't good news.

I took the bike in on Sunday and hopefully I'll have it back before Saturday. The good news is that Specialized has the part and I think I'm going to get it replaced for free.



Until I get it back though, it's singlespeed time. =(

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

You know you are awesome when you break your bike from simply riding it. That's 1 step away from being incredibly awesome by breaking the frame.

February 11, 2008 at 3:59:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home