Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Year in Review - Part 1: Memories

I'd like to start off with my favorite memories from this past year with each of the guys I ride with.

Matt:

- Seeing Matt train hard and finish Counting Coup super fast.
- Watching Matt clear "Stairway to Hell". I realized at that point how much better he has become on the bike. Amazing.
- Sitting on the side of the trail before "The Wall" while training for The Traverse. Both of us were dead tired.
- Seeing Matt dominate on The Traverse. He would have won money if he had competed in the Expert category.
- 12 Hours of Temecula. Enough said. I will still always tell people we got third.
- Doing an extra Luge lap at night to beat Trekstorm. Talked me into it.

A great year of riding with Matt. Lots of fun night rides, some good singlespeed adventures and it's just been incredible to watch how fast and strong he has become on the bike.


Andrew:

- Just like Matt he dominated Counting Coup. What a great feeling when I rode in and we all realized we were top 20.
- Challenging Andrew to a race in Riley ... and losing. Haha.
- Seeing Andrew finally crash at the Toad Festival. He never crashed before this that I knew of!
- Hiking up Horsetheif and being miserable. Good times.
- Moving Andrew into his new house all day and then riding Weir Canyon. We're awesome.
- Hanging back and fixing a million flat tires on Los Pinos.
- Being dropped on a trip to Beek's. I swear I almost had him had he not stopped to check out his tire. Ha.

Andrew always seems to have another gear. I'll push to catch him and then he pushes a bit harder and I'm left in the dust. Sometimes literally! His favorite words from this last year: Awesome, Shekinah


Troy:

- Cracking his frame during a training ride for The Traverse. First time I've ever seen that.
- Troy being the only guy in our group to do Vision Quest and FINISH it.
- Chasing Troy and being chased on the SART ride. Was fun to push.
- Having Troy ride behind me on Counting Coup up Maple Springs and pushing me on the back a bit to help. Thanks! Ha.
- Giving me water and encouragement on Bell Ridge. What a tough ride.
- Being patient with all the flats on Los Pinos.
- Finishing the year on the Project Rwanda ride. Troy knows everyone! Ha.

Several times this year I had no one to ride with and I was able to give Troy a call and go riding with him. Always good to ride with someone that is always positive and fast!


Mark:

- One of my favorite memories of the entire year was when Mark rubbed out my cramps on Los Pinos. Hahahaha.
- Riding Harding-Motorway after I got back from Thailand and talking nutrition. The advice worked. (He recommended a good book)
- Meeting Zippy - Mark's new best friend. The inside jokes never end from that ride.
- Riding with Mark DOWN Mustard in Whiting on our "Ride of Shame".
- Going on the rain ride down Horsetheif. What an experience. Sand, mud and water everywhere. Mark's idea I believe!

Mark always comes up with the biggest toughest rides for our group. If it's a long and tough ride, then Mark wants to do it. A great guy to ride with.


Corby:

- Corby ate it in Mammoth! The only time I've ever seen him fall! Haha.
- Watching Corby make the transition to clipless pedals. Congrats!
- Seeing Corby gut it out after moving Andrew in. Not easy to do, but he got it done!
- Going up to Beek's several times on my SS. Corby enjoyed seeing me suffer. Ha.
- Having Corby show us the Phat Tire loop. We had a good thing going when we had sunlight after work.
- Three words: Lower. Rock. Creek.

I was amazed to see Corby progress this year. He is riding a ton and can clear tons of climbs he couldn't clear the year before. He has also become very comfortable on technical terrain. Fantastic year for him.


I'd also like to thank Doug House, Steve (chaos), Mark Chamley, John Colvin, Jason (rushak) and all the guys I met this year on various rides for being patient with me and helping me become a better rider. Too many memories to list.

Also I want to give special mention memory wise to the entire Mammoth trip. Corby, Matt and Andrew ... that was one of the best vacations I've ever had. I couldn't believe how amazing it was. Adventure, laughter and total ownage all weekend. It was perfect.

1 Comments:

Blogger Corby said...

So far that Mammoth crash has been the only one! haha We definitely need to go again this summer and shuttle Rock Creek this time!

January 3, 2008 at 12:04:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home