Friday, January 2, 2009

Poison?

Bleh. I was really excited for the New Year's holiday and then it happened. On Tuesday night I slowly lost my appetite and eventually developed a fever before going to bed. I had planned on a lot of bike riding for Wednesday and Thursday since I had both days off work and I somehow got either food poisoning or a stomach flu.

I woke up at 5:45AM on Wednesday and ended up doing Holy Jim-Trabuco while Jason, Troy and Brian did a San Juan super loop. I wanted to do the super loop but I was feeling way too weak to actually finish it when I reached the top of Trabuco.

I was very lucky that a few guys were climbing Trabuco and clearing out the downed trees on the trail. I had to hike through a few areas at the top, but nothing too bad. It should all be very rideable now that the trail is cleared of trees (thanks to the group of guys with saws).

The ride overall was pretty rough for me. I'm not sure how much of it was me being sick and how much of it was me being out of shape due to a really inactive December. Either way it wasn't pretty. One of the the only bright spots for me was clearing the last switchback on Holy Jim, which I rarely do. There was a group of hikers sitting down right at the apex of the switchback and so I felt I had to make it to show off a little. Haha.

When I got home I found a tick trying to burrow into my right hip area. I'm guessing I picked him up when I was hacking my way through a tree on Trabuco. He didn't come off easily. Took a few tries to yank him off of me.

Thursday wasn't that much better. I went to Aliso with Matt and did a short loop around the park. Up Meadows, down Rock-it, up Cholla, down Mathis. First time middle ringing Meadows, so that made me feel good mentally. Made me feel pretty bad physically though.

I really wanted to be out longer on Thursday, but I started feeling chills and a cold sweat, so I figured that after 1:40 I should call it quits. Frustrating to have so much time free during the a day and I can only manage a little under two hours on the bike.

The plan now is to rest and eat as much as I can before Saturday. I'm still feeling sick to my stomach, but my appetite is slowly returning and I'm doing good as far as catching up on sleep.

What a way to end the year. Haha.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Don't push yourself too hard. 1 weak month won't turn you into a Fred.

January 2, 2009 at 12:57:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home