Monday, November 10, 2008

Saturday Contrast

Saturday was both good and bad. The morning was awesome and the night was less than awesome.

Morning ride was supposed to be Trabuco to Bell Ridge and then changed to West Horsethief to Bell. Then once we got to the top of Trabuco it changed into a San Juan super loop.

Matt and I decided to break off from Brian, Mark and Troy and do something a bit bigger. I got a flat half a mile after leaving the group for Blue Jay, but other than that it was a great ride. No other mechanicals or issues. We didn't take many breaks going down San Juan or in Caspers which was nice. I did cramp while straddling the fence to get into Caspers. Bad place to cramp. Hahaha.

It was fun to pass a ton of guys on San Juan. When we got to Cocktail there were quite a few riders hanging out. We let some storm troopers go ahead of us and quickly caught them on the descent. That always feels good. Downhill is supposed to be what they are good at, and of course it feels good to beat them at their own game.

Caspers was pretty boring as always. I don't think we saw one other rider the entire time. I told Matt I was looking for a movitational Fred, but we didn't see any. A motivational Fred is a beginner to intermediate rider that is ahead of you on a trail. He just gives you something to chase and then pass. I always get motivated to catch Fred's and get disappointed when there aren't any to chase.

I shaved off 30 minutes from my previous time on the super loop which made me feel especially fantastic. Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting any faster on the bike from year to year and rides like this give me confidence that I am indeed getting better/faster.



Saturday night sucked. It was the Sho-Air team banquet to end the year and I just felt uncomfortable the entire evening. I hadn't shaved for a week and I showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. Everyone else was wearing buttoned up shirts and slacks etc. Some women even had these really nice dresses on.

Whatever. I'm a mountain biker and represented the slack attitude that all mountain bikers have well. Hahaha.

I had to wait in line to register and get a name tag etc. and when I told them my name, SURPRISE, it wasn't on the list. Hooray for more embarrassment. I mean after racing for the team for almost the entire year you'd think I could get my name on the RSVP list. I did RSVP but apparently not in the correct way.

So they took the raffle ticket out of my hand and refused to give me a t-shirt. Nice guys.

I ended up getting a free dinner, t-shirt (Doug convinced a lady I was indeed on the team) and a water bottle out of the night, but it was pretty boring and uncomfortable.

I seriously doubt I'm going to renew my team membership for next year. The club wasn't all that supportive and I ran into one administrative hassle after another. What's the point of being on a team if no one knows you are on it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Motivational Fred....Haven't heard that one before. I love finding Freds in Peter's Canyon to pwn up Big Red.

November 10, 2008 at 10:41:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am trying to imagine what you would look like after not shaving for a week.... here's a tip... the word BANQUET means come dressed in slacks ect. hahahahaha!!!

November 12, 2008 at 9:42:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home