Friday, December 12, 2008

Troy Lee, Sick, Luge

Troy Lee

I went to do a ride last Saturday that I had been looking forward to for a long time. A few of us were going to drop down a trail called Skinsuit, which apparently is a part of a network of trails collectively called the "Troy Lee" trails.

Whatever. Troy Lee sounds better than stupid Skinsuit, so I'll just call it Troy Lee.

About half a mile down Troy Lee I heard a loud noise and my pedals felt jammed. I stopped and looked down to see my rear derailleur detached from the bike. Great. This meant I had to hike back up to Main Divide and ride/coast/scoot back to my car.

I think what happened was that some branch or stick got stuck in my chain on the way down and it pulled on the chain which caused things to break.

It was a nightmare to ride down and see so many other people climbing up Blackstar. I saw a ton of riders I recognized and it hurt to know I wasn't able to put in the miles that I wanted to put in. So frustrating.

Unfortunately the repairs are going to be very costly. My bottom bracket had quite a bit of play in it and the drive train was wearing thin, so this just added to those other repairs.

All in all this is what I've had to buy to get it fixed:

- New rear derailleur (I thought it was ok, but the shop says it's toast)
- New bottom brackt
- New rings in front
- New cassette
- New chain
- New derailleur hanger

Also to add insult to injury I had to have a spoke or two replaced on my rear SS wheel and then get it trued. More money. =(


Sick

In other news I got sick earlier this week and I'm almost recovered now. A guy showed up to work last Friday obviously sick, but that is how our company works. Sick? No problem! Come in!


Luge

Last night I did three Luge laps on singlespeed bikes (two on mine, one on Matt's). I was pretty happy to have done it. A few short years ago, doing two Luge laps would have seemed to be a daunting task. Luge at night? Forget it. Luge on a singlespeed? No way. Luge on a rigid singlespeed? No even in the realm of possibilities.

So I'm happy that I've gotten to the point where passing people on the Luge at night isn't exciting anymore and that doing three Luge laps on a singlespeed is not a big accomplishment. It's just business as usual.


Just happy to be riding more ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog. Dude, sounds like some bad cat-crossed-my-path-as-I-stepped-under-a-ladder-looking-for-my-lost-lucky-rabbit's-foot-luck. Find a buddha and rub his belly--fast! Glad you had the SS backup!

December 12, 2008 at 10:21:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home