Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fast Forward

I can't even remember the last time I did the Maple Springs-Motorway loop before last night. I think it was around two years ago. I remember doing it at night once and I know I've done it in the day time several times.

It's been about 8 months since I've been on Maple Springs or the Motorway, so I was excited to see how the trails had changed. Mostly I was excited to ride something different.

Maple Springs still sucks. Haha. I keep making this mistake with riding certain trails. I underestimate the challenge and overestimate my ability. I think to myself, "Maple Springs? Ha! I could ride up that with one leg and Oprah on my back. Easy."

Turns out the climb up last night wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Not sure if it's because I'm out of shape or maybe it was the lingering effects of the ride from Saturday, but it was not a cake walk.

I wanted to see what my split would be to Four Corners so I could start thinking about Vision Quest splits. I had 1:13 to Four Corners and didn't feel very strong on the climb up. My goal right now is 1:10 for Vision Quest.

The trip to the top of the Motorway started to hurt after a while. My back was sore and I think this was mostly due to the sustained climb up Maple Springs. My body just isn't used to long (8 miles) climbs right now.

Motorway was good and bad. Good in the sense that I'm happy to have completed another night trip down it and bad because it was scary.

I don't think it's just me being a baby when I say that it was looser than I remember it. The top section was especially deep. My front tire wanted very badly to dig and sink into the gravel. It felt like riding in deep sand in several sections.

The middle section was still sketchy, but I don't think it has really changed all that much. It's still long and rocky, but it now has a few ruts in the middle of the trail. After a few passes down the new Motorway I'm sure I'll remember where the ruts are and I can avoid them better than I did last night.

My personal best from a few years ago was 2:23 and last night I logged a 2:11. I was surprised because the trip down the Motorway was laughably slow and I felt kind of sluggish on all the climbs.

I really think I can get under 2 hours in the daylight. We'll have to save that for later though ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home