Monday, August 11, 2008

Sun Baked

I joined a club team for racing this year to get money back for my race fees. That is the only reason I joined. Nothing else. As part of the membership however I have to do one day of volunteering. Not something I really want to do, but if it means getting a couple hundred dollars at the end of the year, I'm willing to suck it up.

Got up a little before 5AM this last Saturday to head down to Northwood High School in Irvine for a womens road race. I guess it was a national championship race or something ... the details are still not clear to me.

The day can be summed up in two words: hot, boring. I was given a walkie-talkie, an orange volunteer shirt and an intersection to police. I saw on the corner of the 261 on ramp and Portola for about 6 hours with a cop to keep me company. When the race would pass by it was my job to make sure pedestrians didn't mess up the race. I had to ask a few people to wait to cross the street or to stop riding their bikes, but other than that my cop buddy did the real work.

Glad to have that over with.

In other news my left knee is still hurting a week after falling on Holy Jim. It gets pretty stiff and sore and I guess I hit it a lot harder than I first thought. I feel ok when I ride, but it aches a lot when I'm just hanging out at home.

The final note is that I finally found the Ladera Lookout trail. Managed to middle ring the entire thing which made me feel good because a lot of people said the trail had steep climbs and that it rivaled the 3 B's in Santiago Oaks. I don't think it's anywhere near as tough as the Oaks, but that's just me.

I wanted to find a picture from the race Saturday but then remembered it was just a womens race, so who cares right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Now I'm glad I didn't go volunteer.

August 11, 2008 at 5:07:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home