Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Old Camp Night Adventure

I got home from my 10 day vacation on Monday and when I checked my email at work I noticed a thread from Matt and Andrew concerning a Monday night ride. I had a huge itch that needed to be scratched, so I told them I was in.

Adding to the excitement was the fact that I had dropped my bike off to get serviced at The Bike Company and I knew it would come back in great condition.

Long story short, it was a pretty good ride. Andrew couldn't make it, so it was just me and Matt, but it was still fun. We rode through Whiting during late afternoon and then finished in the dark doing STT-Old Camp-Luge.

I was a little nervous going down Cactus and the Luge since I hadn't been on the bike in a week and a half, but both turned out just fine. I also got a chance to see the "new Cactus" at Whiting. I still don't know why they diverted the trail and put up a freaking _FENCE_ to block off the old trail. So lame.

Highlights of the ride include seeing a ton of fog roll in over the mountains, which is pretty creepy at night and seeing a skunk on the side of the trail. Also there were these strange birds that would sit in the middle of the trail and not move until you almost ran them over. And lizards. Lots of lizards on the trail.

I was worried about pace because I had been gone for 10 days and had just stepped off the plane, but it ended up better than I thought it would. I beat my personal best time of 3:00 and did the entire thing in 2:49. That should make me happy, but it doesn't. Lots of riders I respect and want to be like do the ride in 2:30 or less. Still so much work to do ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home