Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Kona is Hawaiian for Pain

Yesterday I went out to do Blackstar on my singlespeed, and all I can say is: OW!

I really wanted to go to Beek's on the new bike because I figured it would be a good challenge and good training for getting faster. The plan was to go after my nap on Sunday, but the nap went a lot longer than I thought it would.

To seal the deal, Corby got a new bike yesterday and also wanted to try it out on a familiar trail. So we scheduled an after work ride, each of us on our new bikes.

The start of the ride was fine. The flats kind of suck with a singlespeed (SS) because I can't go as fast as I normally would. I just end up spinning around really fast without really going anywhere.

I didn't really feel a lot of resistance until after the first switchback. Right before the "speed bumps" on the first climb was where I first started standing. I think I stood almost the entire way from the bumps to the second switchback. I was so happy to get to the flat section after the second switchback. My breathing was pretty heavy and my legs were starting to burn pretty bad.

From that point to Hidden Valley I was suffering big time. I had to stand almost the entire way because I couldn't push the gear while sitting. My lower back started to hurt because I'm not used to standing so much. I also can't remember the last time my legs have burned so badly. The bike really worked my quads to death.

I have to admit I thought of giving up right before Hidden Valley. I've been riding a lot for the past year or so and the idea of turning around on a ride at this point is almost unthinkable. I never turn around. The only reason I was considering it was that I felt like I was going to pass out with all the energy I was putting out.

When we finally reached Hidden Valley I started to feel better. I don't think I said one word to Corby on the entire ride up to Hidden Valley because I was too tired to speak. Hahaha.

Riding through Hidden Valley let me recover on the flats and the ride up to the rock formations near the top was great. I don't know if the grade was easier or if it was because I had warmed up, but the second half of the climb was quite a bit easier compared to the first half.

The very last section to the gate was tough, but since I knew I was close I really pushed and made it up ok. My time wasn't too hot at 1:04, but I figure that was due to going _really slow_ on some sections.

The trip down was awesome. The bike feels pretty amazing on the fire roads going down. Even though the front is rigid, the trip down felt great. The 2.3 width and a little extra PSI absorbs a lot of the bumps.

All in all I'm proud to have done it, but it was very difficult for me. I'm looking forward to spending more and more time on the new SS to get my fitness even higher. I need to get faster somehow!

(Note: Corby set a new personal best for gate-to-gate time and for overall time. He did the entire ride in his middle ring, which is a big deal. Congrats Corby!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home