Thursday, May 24, 2007

Blackstar Motorway Ruminations

To "ruminate" means to "to go over in the mind repeatedly and often casually or slowly". It's just a better word for "thoughts" ...

Did Blackstar-Motorway Tuesday night and had a good time. I tried to stay up front as best I could and I think I hung in there pretty good. I couldn't catch Jerry (then again who can) and I couldn't catch Matt (who was trying to catch Jerry), but I did manage to barely beat Doug to the top. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

I rode with Doug (dwhouse on GeoLadders), Jerry, Andrew, Matt, Scott and Steve. I've been trying hard to stay up towards the front in group rides and I think it's paying off. I'm not sure though. I can think of legit excuses for each guy that I beat. I mean for heaven's sake Steve was riding a SS 29'er after recently doing a DOUBLE CENTURY road ride AND a 24 hour SOLO ride. Who would expect him to finish ahead of me?!

Beyond that I got a personal best of under an hour to Beek's. I was pretty excited about that for maybe ... 3 minutes. Then I realize I still suck and the feeling passed. If and when I do it in under 55 minutes ... then that'll be a cause for celebration.

I will admit that after meeting Doug for the first time and finding out he races in the sport class, that I was trying to keep pace with him. Even though he wasn't racing, it makes me think I could race sport somehow. I mean I was right there with him the entire ride. That means I could hang, right? Maybe, maybe not.

Overall the entire ride took me 2:47. That's 8 minutes faster than my previous personal best. I was pretty stoked about that. That's an average speed of 9.2mph I believe. Very fast for me.

I stopped and realized the other day that recently I've been setting personal bests all over the place. Feels like every ride is a new best. That just proves the hard work is paying off.

The final note is that I have two races coming up in June on back to back Saturdays. The Traverse and then 12 Hours of Temecula (where I need to ride for 6 hours). Riding with other guys that race has got me thinking. I'm going to be looking into racing Rim Nordic later this year. They have a race coming up in June or July, but that might be too much in one month. I am seriously considering racing Sport in the second half of the year in Rim Nordic to see what's up.

I'd go out and race Beginner, but I think that would be too easy? Plus I'd feel embarrassed telling people I raced "Beginner". Sport is so much sexier.

Last thing ... I saw this picture online and thought it was funny:



Hikers and bikers have a natural animosity towards each other much like cats and dogs. Sometimes we get along fine, but for the most part there is some under-current of mutual dislike that runs at a very low level.

Still nothing compares to the shared hatred horse riders and bikers share. Freaking horses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home