Wednesday, January 3, 2007

San Juan, Hooray

Pictures of San Juan ...

Switchbacks? It has tons of them ...



I'm starting to get used to exposure (or drop offs on the side of a trail) ...



More switchbacks ...



Starting this year I had three trails on my list of "must do" trails. San Juan, Joplin and West Horsethief. Those were the big three. I was feeling kind of tired Monday (January 1st), but since I had the day off I knew I should use the day to ride. I was going back and forth mentally between the full San Juan up and down trail (22.8 miles) and the "half" ride (12.7 miles). Based on how I was feeling I decided to do the "half". I had Tuesday off as well so I figured I needed to save something for the next day.

I ended up getting to the trail an hour late and found that all my friends had left already. I can't blame them though. I would have left too. I waited till the morning to make some bike repairs and they ended up taking a lot longer than I wanted them to. It was good in the long run though because they needed to be done.

Then I got lost trying to find the trail and the trailhead once I was on my bike.

The ride itself was pretty awesome though. I really enjoy riding solo because I can set my own pace and can really take in the scenery as I ride. It was fun exploring a new trail not knowing what was coming around each corner.

There were a ton of people on the trail though which made it a little sketchy at times. I was ringing my bell a lot to make sure people coming down knew I was coming up.

I ended up getting to Cocktail Rock in a little over an hour and a half. My pace was pretty slow compared to what I might normally do, but I didn't care. I wanted to take it easy and enjoy the ride and not push too hard.

I remember riding up the trail thinking that the downhill might be a bit tough in a few spots, but I was wrong. The downhill was just plain _fun_. There were a lot of sections that I really enjoyed and nothing was that scary at all. I still had to walk a few switchbacks that were a bit tricky, but it was not as scary as I thought it would be.

I practiced my switchback technique at the bottom and fell over when I unclipped my left foot on one switchback. I don't feel very comfortable getting my left foot out at all, so I need to work on that.

Overall a fun ride even if I did it alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home