Friday, December 15, 2006

Middle Ring!

Since no one really reads my blog I figured it would be ok to get excited over a recent accomplishment. Won't feel like bragging or anything if it's just me and my journal.

A few years ago when I first started riding I decided to start going on longer rides. At the time riding my bike to Santiago Peak was a pretty daunting task. The first time I did it, it must have taken something like 6 hours (total time, not just ride time) and I remember it was a struggle.

Since that first time up I've been to the peak many times. It's stopped being a "tough ride" mentally and instead is more of a chore. Actually lately it has lapsed from a long ride to a medium ride.

Lately I've been wanting to push myself a bit more because I've started to realize I can actually push and recover pretty fast. All this leads me to the ride last night ...

Matt had suggested we do Maple Springs to Modjeska, which actually turned into Maple Springs to Santiago Peak. Not a tough ride really, but for a night ride, it's a little longer than I would like.

The riding group consisted of me, Matt, Andrew, Clay and Doug. I had met both Clay and Doug once before, but couldn't remember them that well. Sorry guys. Ha.

We started at a fairly quick pace up the pavement on Maple Springs and I realized I was doing ok in the middle ring. I hadn't set any goals for riding for the night, but the longer I went the more I started to think I'd like to ride all the way to four corners in the middle ring. I mean why not at least try, right?

Made it to four corners in record time for me. I think it was around 1:15. All middle ring. At this point I was feeling a little tired, but also excited. It didn't take too much mental prodding to force myself to stick with the middle ring to the peak.

Long story short, I made it to the peak in the middle ring (2:03 for the time). I found myself several times trying to shift down and being stuck. I had to just gut it out during those times. It really wasn't all that bad, but I did notice it put more of a strain on my legs than I was used to. Also I got that feeling in my quads where the lactic acid (I think that's what it is at least?) is gushing all over.

We didn't wait long at the peak to turn around and get back home. I get really homesick on night rides. Usually I go straight from work to the ride and I'm one of those guys that needs some alone time every day to re-charge.

As a sidenote I also tried braking less on the way down and that went well for about half of the descent. I need to buckle down mentally and get over my fear of going too fast and crashing.

Also a funny part coming down from Modjeska ... my light wasn't on tight enough and it swung backwards so that the light was directly into my eyes. Not only could I not see the trail, but I couldn't see *anything* because the light was shining right into my eyes. Scary feeling trying to stop in the dark like that ... especially on that part of the trail.

Hopefully rides like this will help with Counting Coup. ;O

1 Comments:

Blogger Mikey said...

I was doing some blog surfing and happened upon your blog...interesting read! I have not been on a bike in years, but I remember loving it. Nothing as adventurous as what you do, but all the same I loved it. Drop by my blog if you are not afraid of a gay guy lol

December 15, 2006 at 12:12:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home