Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 Year in Review (Part 2 of 3)

Back from vacation to fill in the year in review part 2. This will simply build on the last post.

To the numbers ...

MAY 06:

71.6 miles
Ascent 8,614 feet
8 rides
DA ratio: 120.3

JUN 06:

96.6 miles
Ascent 12,552 feet
9 rides
DA ratio: 129.9

JUL 06:

175.1 miles
Ascent 22,230 feet
16 rides
DA ratio: 127.0

AUG 06:

153.6 miles
Ascent 20,549 feet
11 rides
DA ratio: 133.8

Highlights from the middle four months of the year (in order of event):

1. Rode the Santa Ana River Trail (SART) for the first time with Mo and about 25 other guys. Was supposed to be all downhill, but had some tough climbs. I hate exposure and this ride flat out scared the crap out of me on some sections.

2. Went to first "mountain bike Bible study" meeting. Was awesome to meet other Christian guys that ride. A bonus that most of them are far better riders than I'll ever be.

3. Even though the ride isn't logged on GeoLadders, I broke my right hand on Dreaded Hill in Whiting. Some jerk came flying down and hit me head on. He was going too fast and his aggressiveness was confirmed when I saw he had shin guards on. Thanks dude for the several months of therapy and the medical bills. I seem to grow more bitter about this as time goes on. Ha.

Fractured hand and dislocated finger:



4. Rode a Whiting lap in near 100 degree weather. It was a hot summer and I did a lot of rides in the heat. With some of the night rides lately, I'd gladly trade summer for winter.

5. Went to Mammoth with Corby, Jeff and Josiah. The trails I did in Mammoth were not that technical for the most part, but man were they fun. When I dream about trails in my head, Mammoth is what it looks like. Have to go again as soon as I can.

6. Got a Garmin Edge 305. This is a highlight because it let me record several "improvised" rides and has allowed me to get good training info. A fantastic purchase.

7. Learned why I should _never_ eat anything with milk in it (even with a pill) before a ride. I did Blackstar-Motorway and had to relieve myself on the side of the trail. I think the bike tube I tried to wipe with is still there last I checked.

8. Saw my first rattlesnake at Peter's Canyon. It scared the crap out of me because it was only 1 foot away from my right foot as the pedal was at its lowest position. I'll never forget that thing hissing and coiled looking right at me.

The middle three months were rough because of the heat and the injury to my hand. With therapy I was able to get my finger to almost bend like a normal pinky finger, but when I looked at it the other day I was bummed to see it's back to being at about 60 degrees. Guess it'll just always be that way.

Totals for the middle four months:

469.9 miles
63,945 feet climbed
44 rides
DA Ratio of 136.1

You can see that even though I rode almost 100 more miles in this time (even taking a month off for a broken hand!), that my DA Ratio was down almost 30 points. That means that even though I was riding more, the trails were easier. What a wimp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home