Thursday, December 21, 2006

2006 Year in Review (Part 1 of 3)

Figured it would be fun (for me at least) to write up my year in mountain biking. There were a lot of hightlights, so I figured it would be best to break it into three parts. I also plan to go nuts on stats to really help me track my progress through the year.

Part 1 of 3 (January - April)

JAN 06:
73.5 miles
Ascent 11,863 feet
6 rides
DA ratio: 161.4

FEB 06:
115.3 miles
Ascent 19,375 feet
11 rides
DA ratio: 168

MAR 06:
88.8 miles
Ascent 15,378 feet
10 rides
DA ratio: 173.2

APR 06:
104.1 mi
Ascent 16,404 feet
10 rides
DA ratio: 157.6

The DA ratio is distance vs. ascent. Basically a number to indicate how hard a trail is. If the trail is 10 miles, but only 100 feet of elevation gain, then it's pretty easy. If it's only 2 miles, but 1,500 feet of elevation gain, then it's really tough. So you could think of the DA ratio as "how hard the trails were".

Highlights from the first four months (in order of event):

1. I got to ride my new bike for the first time. After years of using a hard tail Trek 6700, I was able to finally ride a full suspension bike _and_ I got to experience the joy of being able to clip in.

I actually went down the Luge for my first ride on my new bike and because I was initially obsessed with locking and unlocking my shocks (front AND back), I went down the Luge locked out front and back on accident.

2. Finally rode Blackstar-Motorway without bonking. This was a _huge_ deal at the time. I remember riding from the Blackstar gate past Beek's to the next gate on the right of the fire road without getting off the bike. Awesome ride.

3. Went down Joplin for the first time. I haven't tried it since. Some Warrior's Society guy told me and Matt we could do it no problem. I ended up going over the bars and actually hit Matt on his bike causing him to fall as well. 2007 will see me going down Joplin at least twice.

4. Fell on Santiago Oaks/Weir Canyon and planted my face into a bush. It looked like I had herpes because of the scrapes and cuts on my upper lip. I ended up warping my front rotor. Replacing that rotor was just one of _many_ bike repairs this year.

5. I finally rode the Whiting-Live Oak loop without putting a foot down. That kind of accomplishment is trivial now, but at the time it was a big deal.

6. I hiked up Holy Jim with some friends and saw riders training for Vision Quest/Counting Coup. I had never been on the trail and it was impressive watching them climbing Holy Jim. I decided I had to try.

The first time going up found me falling into a small waterfall/creek crossing. One of the worst potential falls I've ever had. I ended up ok only because I was able to put a hand down on a rock in the creek below the dam. Matt had to help me up because half of me was down in the creek and half of me was up on the trail.

I finished the ride to Main Divide, but was freaked out. Rode up Holy Jim a few more times later in the year and I enjoy it now.

7. Tried to ride Harding-Motorway and bonked big time. I remember trying to eat a bagel on Maple Springs to get some energy and my body refused to swallow. I ended up spitting out what I had in my mouth.

I also remember sitting down on the fire road with Matt moaning and groaning. For some reason when you get really tired your body can't stop farting. Good times.

8. Rode up Beek's in the mud. We were trying to do Blackstar-Skyline, but it just didn't work. Worst mud experience I've ever had. Very memorable.

9. Rode with Josiah and some other friends. Reason I mention this is that Josiah had one of the worst falls/crashes of the year. He ended up riding too fast and went flying maybe 10-15 feet off the bike into a bush. Ow.

10. The final highlight is the big group ride to Old Camp. Lots of friends in over their heads and overall an insane adventure. We had tons of mechanicals with the bikes and tons of fatigue. Everyone finished though. It was a ride that should have taken maybe 2 hours and instead took maybe 5. Haha.

Totals for the first four months of the year:

381.7 miles
63,020 feet climbed
37 rides
DA Ratio of 165.1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home