Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I hate Whiting

I hate Whiting Ranch. I've been trying to stop throwing the word "hate" around so carelessly, but I would be doing myself an injustice if I didn't express the feelings I had yesterday at Whiting.

While riding my three laps yesterday I kept going over the reasons I now hate Whiting and wrote quite a bit of prose in my head.

I see a lot of similarities between Brett Favre trying to make a comeback and Whiting. Both used to be awesome and both now suck and should not have come out of retirement. I want to remember Whiting the way it used to be, not the way it currently is. I suppose the main difference is that Whiting will get better over time and Brett won't.

Reasons Whiting now sucks:

1. Sand. Duh right? I hate not having continuity on trails. I don't want to walk, I want to ride. Walking is one of the only knocks I have on trails like Holy Jim and San Juan. But you know what? I have to mount and dismount my bike _MORE_ at Whiting right now than I do at Holy Jim or San Juan. It's incredibly frustrating.

2. People. TOO MANY PEOPLE! Whiting has always been crowded, but it is just stupid right now. It's not that I mind people on Borrego hiking or people walking their bikes up Mustard. I don't even mind enough people to start a small town at Four Corners. But I do mind people hiking and riding the wrong way on trails. I do mind large groups spanning a fire road preventing you from riding through without having to stop or forcing you to brake super hard at the last minute.

3. Sand. All singletracks are now meaningless. You can't attack Cactus because you are too busy trying to keep your tires going straight. Heck you are too busy trying to keep your tires spinning.

4. Sand. I hate having to walk sections I used to be able to ride. I hate sand in my shoes. I hate the effort it takes to ride through the sand. I felt like Borrego took more energy that Mustard yesterday. It's not just that it's annoying. It's completely demoralizing. Ride 50 yards, walk 50. Ride 50, walk 50. Repeat endlessly.

So my three laps took me two and a half hours to complete. Granted I spent some time emptying my shoes of sand and I was on the road to and from my house for a while, but two and a half hours?!?! One Cactus lap and two Live Oak laps should take less than two hours.

Whiting you need a makeover. We need Spiderman to come out and defeat the Sandman that has inflicted his evil plan on such a great riding area.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

(scat "ride, ride, ride, ride" 26 rides in all)

Mr. Sandman. Bring Ryan a dream.
Make Whiting the cleanest that he's ever seen.
Give him singletrack flowing over and over.
Then tell him his walking is over.
Sandman, he's riding slow.
Don't have no singletrack to pwn.
Please turn on your magic beam.
Mr. Sandman, bring Ryan's dream.

July 16, 2008 at 11:40:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home