Monday, November 5, 2007

An Interview with Andrew Winger

So I'm reading a book about zombies called "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War" and it's pretty good. Since the book is an oral history, every chapter is divided into interviews with people that supposedly survived the zombie war.

I figured I would do the same thing as a ride report from Saturday. I'm going to pretend Andrew was on the ride because it makes it more colorful.

Anaheim Hills, California

[I am at the residence of Andrew Winger - avid mountain biker and adventurer. He reclines in his custom made recliner while sipping some green tea. A thoughtful look sweeps across his face as I ask about his ride Saturday. You can tell he has a lot to say.]

I showed up for the ride Saturday expecting a normal ride. Nothing too scary. I have been riding in Aliso Woods for quite some time you see. I am a downhill madman - if I do say so myself - and I am intimidated by very little. [He smiles.]

The ride started with a trip up Meadows. It was a tough ascent, but we all made it fine. That is a really tough climb to start out with.

Where did you go from there?

From there we used the connector to go over to Top of the World. Matt, Ryan and I all cleared the entire connector section behind the houses on the way to Top of the World. I always ride that part - no problem. I was surprised to see Ryan roll the entire thing. That first steep step down takes some guts.

From Top of the World you guys went to ...

Yeah we went over to a trail that Mark Chamley called "V-Ditch". I don't know what he calls it that. Maybe because he likes the TV show "V". Maybe because there is a ditch on the side of the trail in the shape of a "V". Who knows.

I didn't make this section unfortunately. I did see Ryan clear the entire descent though. That was surprising because he usually wimps out on crap like that. He does this thing sometimes where he approaches a technical section and then stops and walks back to do it and then stops again. It's retarded. That's why I was surprised he rode down the entire thing without stopping.

Did anyone crash?

Nah. Most of us walked some sections and we hit the bottom just fine. From there we followed the route that Chamley had showed us from the last time we poached this trail. We hopped over to the Dilley Preserve I think. Dilley. What a stupid name for a park. I mean really? Dilley? Hey that rhymes ...

Back to the ride ...

Oh yeah, sorry. Hey! My wife is making more tea. Want some? [He motions over to the kitchen area.] No? Ok.

Yeah so from there we actually took a turn. We went down a trail called ... Sunflower I think. Really nice singletrack. I love doing new singletrack. It had no technical sections and nothing steep. Just nice rolling singletrack that went on for a bit.

After that we crossed Laguna Canyon road and hit up Stagecoach near the Nix Center. Good times. Matt, Ryan and I really hammered up this section. We all missed a switchback near the top, but that was ok. Can't win 'em all.

So you finished Stagecoach and went to where?

[Andrew takes a long sip from his tea.] From there we hiked up a steep section going into Bommer. This stupid trail runner came bounding down the trail and like a freaking pinball he bounced arond and almost hit every single one of us as we were climbing. I mean really ... what an idiot.

After getting into Bommer we descended into what I think is Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. Not sure exactly. All I know is that we skipped "Cactus Carwash" and I'm happy for that.

We then rode _up_ Lizards and into El Moro. I wasn't excited about going up Lizards, but it ended up ok. Matt went in front so if any dumb storm trooper was going to take someone's head off - at least it wouldn't be mine.

Speaking of Matt ... he did some crazy downhill section twice in the middle of Lizards. Pretty impressive to watch. That guy is a crazy mofo.

I can see you're on a tight schedule, so I'll wrap it up ...

Well I do have to get going, but don't skip anything ...

Yeah whatever. [Andrew rolls his eyes.]

Ok so from there we hit Missing Link and ran into some more freaking runners. They told us El Moro was closed due to a "Red Flag" warning. Stupid commie park owners. They charge 10 bucks for parking and now close the entire park for some wind? Whatever. I swear ...

[Andrew mumbles for a few minutes about "commies" before coming back to the interview.]

We ended up going down New Emerald - or BVD - and then climbed back up to the ridge to go hit T&A (Laguna Ridge). I was amazed to see Ryan ride about 95% of the singletrack down. He rode over a lot of stuff I never expected him to make. He is either really crazy or really stupid or improving. I vote for stupid.

From there we rode across the road again and hiked up Stair Steps. This was hard for me because I've always had trouble with my knees and my back.

Once we got to the top of the ridge back in Aliso it was a quick trip down Rock-It before finishing.

So it was a good ride?

Yeah it was cool. I didn't time the ride, but Ryan did it in 3:29 and I know I was ahead of him for most of the ride. Take it Ryan! Haha. I felt good though ... I felt good.

I felt so good in fact that Matt, Ryan and I went out for a second lap. Up Cholla and down Rock-it.

If you had to describe the ride in one word, what would that be?

Shekinah.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think all your enteries should be like this!

November 5, 2007 at 10:37:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home