Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Manifest Destiny at Night

When the settlers moved West centuries ago it was called Manifest Destiny. Their expansion was inevitable and there was a sense of entitlement. They simply took whatever was in front of them and claimed it as their own.

In the same manner my buddies and I seem to be claiming every legal trail that can be done in 3.5 hours or less as night rides. First it started with the ambitious Blackstar-Motorway ride and then quickly opened up to Maple Springs, Santiago Peak, Skyline, Harding and eventually even Joplin.

Last night another trail was taken care of. Holy Jim is the latest trail to be raided at night by our little night riding group.

Matt and I parked at the Albertsons near Tijeras Creek last night and then rode down to Trabuco Creek Road and ultimately up Holy Jim to Main Divide.

The ride as a whole was nothing special. I did clear one tough section on Holy Jim before the switchbacks that I had never cleared before. It's a very rocky part and I was able to hammer up without having to get off to walk.

If I had to grade myself I would have given myself a 'B' for climbing the switchbacks and an 'F' for descending them. I just couldn't get into a rhythm on the way down and I wanted to keep up with Matt.

I really enjoy Holy Jim (up or down) in the daylight, but at night it's a bit creepy. I've gotten much better at dealing with the possibility of running into some large cat, but it still gets to me at times.

In the end though I never regret doing the night rides as they always bring a significant sense of accomplishment and adventure.

(P.S. I _HATE_ Trabuco Creek Road)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home