Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Rather Forgettable

I've been trying to catch up and write up each ride from the last week, but I'm having a tough time remembering which ride was on which day.

This post is for the final ride of last week, on Saturday (11/25/06).

It's always best to set the stage before going into the ride itself. Actually this ride was kind of boring, so the context might be more fun to read about.

Given that it was the last day of the week and I was trying for a weekly medal on GeoLadders, I knew I needed to pick just the right trail to ride. I needed to make sure that I had more points than the next guy. I was hovering around #4 or #5 for the week and only the top 5 guys get a medal.

I browsed through the site and decided on "Coto - Caspers Cougar Pass". Now this trail was going to be nice for several reasons. First of all it was a "new ride" for me, which meant I would get bonus points. Yummy bonus points. Second I knew the trail/area well so I knew it wouldn't be a terribly taxing ride physically. It's mostly rolling hills and has absolutely nothing technical on it at all. Finally it had a NAV file, which meant if I reviewed the NAV file that I would get MORE bonus points. It all added up nicely. 56 + 15 + 3 = weekly medal.

I had planned for the ride to be later in the day so I could sleep in. I did however want to be home in time for the USC/Notre Dame game. Not sure why I wanted to get home though ... the game sucked.

To make the ride even easier to swallow for me, I was able to get Corby to come along.

The actual ride was pretty uneventful until we got near Casper's Wilderness Park. The trail goes straight forever and then you do a loop and go back the way you came. In other words Corby and I came to a fork in the road and we could go either left or right. Well the NAV file had long since stopped working, so I picked "right". I had ridden that trail before anyways and I knew what I was getting into. Poor Corby didn't.

We finished the loop and were on our way back when we ran into Doug Andrews. Doug is the guy who created GeoLadders, so it's always good to see him. Coincidentally we are also both on the same team for "Control", so it was fun to talk for a minute.

The only thing that sucked was that Doug implied that since I didn't ride _up_ Cougar Pass that I should claim some other ride. "Ok", I thought. No big deal. The other ride will be enough to get me my medal. Forget the bonus points.

Fast forward to me in my car at a nearby apartment complex trying to post my ride ...

I go to see the trail I had done already months ago and went to post my ride. Only 52 points. Crap. That's not much. After posting I looked at the rankings and I was 5th for the week. By 1 point. Hahaha. I figured I had done a good job and was pretty sure no one else would post the rest of the night. I was wrong.

Anyways to wrap up, Corby called me telling someone had passed me, I deleted my old ride and posted the one I intended to do and got my medal.

Lots of hard work, but it was worth it. That little green icon next to my name is awesome. Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home