Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Shifting Loop

The chief editor at Mountain Bike Action is Rich Cunningham. I found out a while ago that he _invented_ the Fullerton Loop. Pretty cool.

Here is a pic of Rich:



Anyways I did the Fullerton Loop twice last night with Matt and Andrew. I was telling Andrew it should really be called the "shifting" loop, since I always find myself constantly shifting from one cog and one ring to another. The terrain is just too varied to stay in one gear for too long. Bleh.

The first loop was pretty uneventful. We took the easy way around most of the trail. The first time I did this loop was at night as well and the guide I had took me down almost every drop and singletrack that was available. We only hit maybe 30% of that stuff on the first loop.

The last drop out of the trail to the street was pretty steep and I had totally forgotten about it. Matt and Andrew gave me a hard time for whining about it, but I really didn't care for it. Hahaha. It was long, rutted and pretty steep. I guess I just need to get used to that kind of thing and shut up.

Second loop had roughly the same pace and I hit more of the little drops and jumps. I knew where they were and had some fun. I want to hit more jumps on different trails. I'll have a chance tonight when I do Whiting with some friends.

A funny note ... Andrew took a detour on some singletrack that Matt and I skipped - and he saw some hippies or something having a campfire. Haha. Only Andrew would find those people. First he stops during Counting Coup to pick up a 5 dollar bill and next he runs into hippies at 9:30pm in the bushes in Fullerton.

One more note ... some guy on GeoLadders has done this trail _178 times_. Dude! Try something else! Hahaha.

After the ride we went over to In and Out for some good times. I ended up throwing some trash into a container with no trash bag/trash can. Oops. Haha.

This Saturday looks like a trip to Malibu for some new trails. HOORAY!

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe Pena said...

Fun. MALIBU. I bet there were some good stories told at In-n-Out.

March 14, 2007 at 11:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger prevents email spam said...

yeah good times at in and out. we all left laughing pretty hard. had to be there to appreciate it, but was still fun.

March 15, 2007 at 9:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Andrew said...

Thanks for the history of Fullerton Loop! I think Matt might be right when he said you surf the net all the time because you are full of random tidbits. I was just happy to see you conquer your fear and do the massive drop at the end. ...ohhh...a $5 bill...gotta run...

March 26, 2007 at 4:56:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home