Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Whiting Laps ... errr ... Old Camp?

Ever since the game of "Control" started on GeoLadders I've been checking the site constantly to monitor where my team stands. I've become keenly aware of our overall strategy and obviously I want to contribute towards a team win.

The day before Thanksgiving gave me an opportunity to do that. I had a half day at work and that meant I could ride after work before it got dark and then head off to church. My initial plan was to ride two Whiting trails and claim them for the team.

My team's strategy however was to control "long" rides and "extra long" rides. That meant that Whiting laps were out of the question. Instead I should focus my energy on riding trails in the 50-75 point range. Ugh. That was more work than I had planned.

I finally decided on Santiago Truck Trail to Old Camp as my Wednesday ride. It was going to be the third ride for the week and I knew I had a lot of riding ahead so I didn't want to burn myself out. If it had been the end of my riding week I might have picked Whiting to Old Camp or something longer.

To do this ride I knew my normal riding buddies wouldn't work. Matt and Andrew were out of town and Troy was on a different team! I was content to do it alone, but I asked Corby and Josiah just in case. To my surprise they both agreed to go with me.

My only concern was how long the ride was going to take. I'm sure Corby and Josiah both know they aren't the fastest riders and I wanted to make sure we started with enough time to get back before dark.

Fast forward to the ride ...

It was indeed a pretty slow pace, but I was ok with that because I knew I was going to be going hard the next few days and I didn't want to burn out early in the week. The weather was definitely colder than I would have liked, but the company was good. Considering how often Corby and Josiah ride, they actually did very well. I was surprised at how fast both of them were on the climbs.

I brought my light with me just in case and it turned out to be a very wise decision. It got dark before we finished and I think the light helped as we rode back. I say "I think" because I know it helped me, but I don't know how much it really helped Corby or Josiah. Haha.

Josiah ended up crashing in a small rut about 1/4 of a mile from the gate and that sucked. Other than that though, it was a good ride and it was good points for the site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home