Friday, November 17, 2006

Fullerton Loop

The Fullerton Loop is a pretty popular trail. It was featured in Mountain Bike Action Magazine and on GeoLadders it's been ridden about a gazillion times. I've had this loop on my "to-do" list for quite some time now, and last night I got a chance to finally ride it. At night.

There are two important facts about the Fullerton Loop that have kept me from going. The first is that the trail is confusing as all heck and the directions for going on it are like ten pages long. The second fact is that it is widely known as a "beginner" trail. Well beginner stuff is not for me, so I figured not riding it was no big loss.

I was able to get Matt to ask Mike (MF Titan on GeoLadders) to show us around since he does the trail so often. He agreed.

Traffic was horrible getting there, which just might keep me from ever doing this trail again at night. I just can't handle waiting in traffic for an hour. No trail is worth that.

Fast forward to the actual ride ...

We started at the Fullerton Courthouse and right away we jumped on to some wide fire road type trail. Almost immediately Mike took us down a fairly short steep section to hit another part of the trail. I didn't realize it, but this would be a theme the rest of the night.

Mike knows all the little jumps, drops and hidden singletrack on the trail and went out of his way to show us everything. Where most people would go straight on fire road, we'd go off to the left or the right to explore a section of singletrack.

I was surprised how many minor technical sections there were.

At one point Mike yelled back at us to watch for the bridges. Bridges?! Over what? We are on singletrack Mike ... what do you mean bridges?

Each bridge was at the bottom of a sandy slope through a maze of trees. Each one was pretty small and it was challenging considering how insanely slow I was going.

Overall I was impressed by the myriad of options the trail had. Lots of stuff to mess around with and I can see why some people would want to do it over and over.

Thanks Mike ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home