Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorable Memorial Weekend

Man good times this weekend. I was able to cross two trails off my to-do list and just had an all around fantastic time.

Link to pictures:

Good Weekend


Saturday I got to go down Coldwater for the first time with Matt, Andrew, Troy, Jason and a guy we met named Frank. We gave Frank the nickname "Frank the Tank" after the guy from Old School. Also because he dominated the downhills.

I was expecting a tougher trail, but it was still challenging. Some really steep sections towards the end and some tough switchbacks. Other than that it was really fun and I really enjoyed the different scenery on the trail itself. It was good, tight singletrack and had a lot of green all around.

Monday I hit Telonics for the first time and even though conditions weren't the best, it was still awesome to finally do it. When I first started riding a few years ago there were two trails that struck fear in my heart ... Telonics and Joplin. Everyone always talked about these trails as if they were the hardest and gnarliest trails ever.

Telonics wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but again, not easy. I think there was only one very short section that no one rode on Monday. Otherwise between our entire group, we rode the entire trail.

I walked three technical spots, but Matt rode the top, Brian rode the middle and I'm sure someone rode through the other short section I walked in the middle.

I was really stoked to ride the entire bottom part without having to stop or put a foot down. It didn't have anything technical on it other than a small drop or two. It was just really steep.

Also I was able to clear Deer Canyon in El Moro for the first time. There were a few obstacles that made me pause and worry, but I was able to clear all of them. Stoked.

Made about 95% of T&A and I'm positive I can ride 100% of it in the future. Granted I'd be riding the easiest lines in some sections, but that still counts right?

Finally, I rode 100% of Rock-it. I know this isn't a big deal, but I hadn't done it yet. There is this short climb towards the bottom that I've never been able to clear and I finally did it Monday. It's kind of like a 6 year old finally pooping in the toilet on his own ... a little late so not that great, but I'll take it.

Last note is about racing ... I'm SUPER excited to see that the race this Sunday is just one big loop. It's not two laps of a short course. I despise racing laps, so this is great news for me. I'm actually starting to look forward to the race Sunday in Big Bear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home