Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Loose Ends

Ok, some loose ends and random thoughts that I didn't want to cover in other posts ...

First is the game of HORSE.

Me losing in HORSE:



HORSE for basketball is where someone takes a shot and then challenges you to make the same shot. If you don't make it, you get a letter. One letter at a time until you spell HORSE, which is when you know you've lost.

Mountain biking HORSE is similar. Someone on the ride tries to clear a climb (or a descent) and then you try as well. If someone makes it and the other person does not (they have to put a foot down), then the person that missed it gets a letter.

A practical example from Monday:

Matt clears a very tough, steep and loose climb and I did not. That's an "H" for me.

So I lost the game Monday at the very end of the ride by tipping over and not being able to unclip my foot. Stupid eggbeaters.


In other news ...

I have set a new goal for my riding. Haha. I have decided to divide all rides into two categories, namely "Rock" and "Roll".

Rock rides are rides that require some hiking and are generally technical and taxing physically. You rarely if ever are able to settle into any kind of rhythm, hence the "rock" name.

My goal for "Rock" rides is to average 7mph. I'm averaging 5-6mph right now, so that gives me something to shoot for. This means that I would like to do the San Juan-Los Pinos ride with an average speed of 7mph.

Roll rides are rides where you can get a sustained climb or downhill for the majority of the ride. Think of Whiting, The Luge, Blackstar, etc. These rides allow you to get into a zone and just hammer. They also have downhill sections that don't make you get off the bike.

The "roll" rides should average 10mph. This is a goal because I'm not there yet. I averaged around 9.5mph the other day for a Whiting-Luge ride and that was because I was pushing very hard. If I can consistently average 10mph on "roll" rides, I'll be a happy camper.


The final loose ends deal with racing and training. I'm attending a clinic in November that should help me learn some better bike handling etc. I'm really excited to get out there and learn all I can from some good pro riders.

The last note is that I still want to do at least one more race before the year ends. I just need to figure out which one. I'm kicking around a few ideas, but I think I need to just sign up for one and then I can start planning. We'll see ...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember to have fun when biking. Goals lead to frustration. Frustration leads to anger. Anger leads to Suffering. Never take life too seriously because you'll never get out alive.

September 5, 2007 at 10:41:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your picture from horse. maybe next time you will win? and by the way bitching new layout. i officially have layout envy

September 6, 2007 at 9:50:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home